Use DataSnipper for your Test of Detail procedures. Easily vouch information to supporting documentation.
In this 'how to' you'll learn how to use DataSnipper for your Test of Detail procedures. Easily vouch information to supporting documentation. For example tying a debtor list in Excel with sales invoices in PDF. Say goodbye to repetitive work. Accelerate your procedures with AI-driven text and image recognition. Automatically extract and cross-reference supporting documentation to your audit sample. Share a 'plug-and-play' Excel file throughout your team, that is easy to open and review, with all cross-references in place.
- Received documents from client
- Sample data ready in Excel
- Determine the data fields you like to test
- Click import documents to import the financial documents related to the sample
- Select the documents you want to import
- Click document matching
- First we need to make groups for every Document type
- Make the group for invoices first. Give the group a name, and select all invoices.
- Now let's add a group for The Bank statement and import the Bank statement document directly into the new group.
- Make sure to select the groups you want to include in your test of detail.
- Select header row, this is the row were the header is located
- Select the input column, for the example the amount column
- Select the output column, for example the amount, So DataSnipper understands where it should output its results
- Click the add icon to create new rows. E.g. if you have 3 data field columns in your sample data, you need 3 rows in the input and output selector
- Repeat steps above for all sample data fields
Start Document Matching
- Click Match all rows
- By clicking on the results, you can easily see the matched documents.
Review and Adjust
- Review the results and identify missing items
- In our example data, one amount field is still empty. After giving this a thought, there might be a rounding difference in the amount
- Let's set-up a deviation in the document matching settings for the 'value amount' with 1
- You can do this by checking the allow difference checkbox and set the value to 1
- Let's the test again. Now you will see all information is matched and the cells are filled with data.
Increase the quality of your Test of Detail
To finish, let's add additional rules to increase the quality of your tests
- Click on the options button in the Document Matching setup menu
- Here, you will see two advanced options:
- A checkbox to make the data in a column required
- A checkbox to allow deviations in the matched results, up to a certain value
For this example, the invoice number in the sample data is unique and available in the invoice and bankstatement test data. Therefore, If no match can be found on the invoice number, we don't care about the rest of the values, as they are less trustworthy.
Sharing the file
- You can choose to exclude all documents before saving the workbook in your audit file, by selecting the include/exclude documents toggle.
- You have some options to delete specific documents, please click here to learn more.